[UK-CONTEST] Inverted V help

John Edwards / Lisa Clipstone lisaclipstone at btopenworld.com
Sun Nov 9 06:31:45 EST 2003

Hello Chris

First of I hope that you don't mind to much this unsolicited e-mail. I am interested in inverted V's and it seemed you had gained a lot of knowledge in this area.

I Saw your advice about inverted V installations on a message board recently. I have just installed a full sized 80m inverted V (appex around 35 feet and angle fairly wide, legs dropping to 8') and have been looking around for user experience on this type of ariel. There seems to be  a lot of conflicting information but the main area that I am interested in is its radiation patterns.

I was wondering if you had any experience of working JA, VK and ZL areas. If so in what polar direction are the legs of the ariel? At present my one is running roughly TF - IK which is about 10-20 degrees west of North and 10-20 degrees east of south. This is broadside to VK short path.

I have worked recently VK3PA  (Al) on 100w but only just. Normally it takes 400. I have not heard one single JA although most of Europe seems to be giving them 59. I am beginning to think there is a null in the ariel or the orientation is wrong? I hear many stations working DX with inverted V's. The proof in the real world I guess but I have some doubts.

I have been looking at various sites on the web and it seems that computer software designs show poor low angle radiation patterns on inverted V ariels. In addition the radiation is at angles off the ends.

What do you think?

Regards