[UK-CONTEST] EU Sprint SSB G4AXX

Mark Marsden MM at plextek.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 05:21:12 EDT 2003

EU Autumn Sprint SSB

Call: G4AXX

 Band  QSOs
---------------------
    80:   19
    40:   40
    20:   35
---------------------
Score:  100

My first time in this contest, one that turns normal operating on its head.

20m was hard work. Stations I could hear often handed the frequency over to someone in my skip.

40m was better with a whole load of G's & F's becoming workable. The software knew a lot of names by then. What a lot of QRM! 1.8 kHz filters performed well.

80m was good but fewer stations and I thought most moved to 80m too late. 3 good passes, 1 failed.

I found CQ'ing a waste of time and often gave up my frequency. Lots of dial-spinning and loads of stations piled on top of each other, I was slow to get into it, but once I got the hang of it I was hooked. 4 hours of intense concentration and fun.  See you in the Spring SSB Sprint.

Equipment:  FT1000MP 100W, Heil Pro-Set HC5, G5RV inverted Vee with apex at 46ft
DL2NBU Sprint software, I emailed the log in straight after the contest and got a tracking number back within minutes.

73 Mark G4AXX
www.granta-digital-crocus.com