[UK-CONTEST] M8C IOTA Contest

Chris Burbanks g3sjj at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 5 06:13:12 EDT 2004

Firstly well done Dave and the team.

Claimed scores seem to be very sparse this year, both on here and 3830. I am
putting a little spreadsheet together detailing top Multi-op groups
band/mode Qs and mults. I've only got 6 so far. Still waiting for MD4K,
EJ2MT and G5XV from G/EI plus an IH9. It will be freely available when I
have a few more.

I have done some analysis on our mults and came to the same conclusion as
Dave that we need to grab more mults on the Run band. One other area that I
highlighted was our lack of finding the big Multi-op groups. We have been ok
before but I think we relaxed too much with the Sixpak / Acom 2000 combo,
thinking that would do it for us! I reckon we lost about 50 mults that way.

As regards prefix, I agree with Dave. We believe the GU prefix stands out
and does give us some advantage. at one stage it looked as though the GU
Club HQ would not be available any more so we considered Scillies, but ruled
it out mainly on the prefix but also on logistics. (Sark was even worse for
getting the gear on).

One point we have noticed is the high cost of public transport to islands
around the UK compared with that of some of the other Eu countries. The
total cost of 5 of us crossing to GU, hotel (3*) and food was about £400 a
head, based on 3 staying 5 nights, 1 staying 4 nights and 2 staying 3
nights. The car alone cost £160 and average passenger ferry/flight fare is
£95.

It was still most enjoyable though, G3SJJ