[UK-CONTEST] CQWW CW G8D SOAB HP

Chris Burbanks g3sjj at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 1 18:35:43 EST 2004

Some similarities with Stewart GM4AFF although on a smaller scale. Since the
original mast folded over last winter I have been working to improve the
station with a target of it being capable of producing 3000 Qs over all 6
bands in CQWW CW/SSB with an operator capable of staying awake for over 36
hours! I had the opportunity to install a bigger tower but selected against
in order to avoid having a cement lorry cross neighbouring fields and maybe
getting stuck, and subsequently drawing local attention to the overall
antenna installation. The Tennamast supports my A4S at 46ft with the 160m
dipole 10ft above that. I have renewed all the cabling on my 40m 2 el phased
vertical array and get a good 20dB f/b on DX and about 10dB into Eu. A
recently completed 80m gp looks to be working well also.

Operated for about 18 hours with some good runs on 80 to 15 but tended to
S&P on 160 and 10. I made notes and in general could only find minor
criticisms of the set-up, ignoring things like bigger/higher beam and auto
tune amp. Need to upgrade my F Key template from NA to Writelog format, 160m
dipole lowest swr is 2.5 on 1880 and 3.5:1 on 1810, office chair too far
away from desk, legs ached at times. Awaiting the MP roofing filter, but
need Inrad 400Hz to be able to find a run slot below 7040 (!!!) Need to
progress work on rx antennas. Don't like the monitor audio at low levels.
Worst problem was an intermittent on rx which I can't emulate now.

Band observations. Loudest signal was UW5Q on 10m putting my s-meter to
next-to-last segment, ie 55dB over s9 !! Not in favour of split in contests
and noted an increase as per G4IIY, worst was on 80 or 40 on the band edge.
New Eu trick of modulated carrier to clear the freq. Some squidgy sounding
notes, be interested to know what radio EI7M was using, for example. Can't
you just tell when you have been spotted, great to see the rate meter going
up though. 20 and 15 closed earlier than expected. Broke several big pileups
first call on 80 to 10, including 5H3 on 10m and 5U5Z on 80m. Kept an ear on
UU7J as they are one of our IOTA Contest competition. Noted they called me
on 5 of the 6 band QSOs, plus several times as dupes. Presumably they had
Run and Search stations active on each band.

               Q      	Pts         Z          C
160m:     74        84         8         39
80m: 	 224     282       15          52
40m:      303     465       22          68
20m:      423     809       	18          53
15m:      346     825       	26          66
10m:        67     118       15          40
Totals:  1437    2583      	104       318      	422 mults    Score  =
1,090,026

Writelog and microHam Keyer, Ft1kMP, Acom 1000 amp, Topten band decoder to
remote relay switch at base of mast 280ft from house.
20/15/10   A4S at 46ft
40m         2 phased 1/4 verticals with 20 radials on each, 150ft further on
from A4S
80m         55ft vertical with 11 radials, 30ft on from 40m antenna. Some
radials in neighbours field!
160m       Dipole at 56 ft, one end at 20ft, other about 6ft above ground.
Too busy to put up temp end support.

Had some thoughts about long contests etc, but need to keep that as a
separate posting.  Chris G3SJJ
---