[UK-CONTEST] 48 hour Contests

Donald Field g3xtt at lineone.net
Thu Dec 2 06:39:04 EST 2004

I believe there is real benefit in having some sort of "contest within a
contest" for UK amateurs, as a transition from local events such as the very
successful Club Chamionships to the big league (ARRL, CQWW, etc.). But I do
value the opportunity to participate in full-blown 48-hour contests. When I
do all-bands, 24 hours simply isn't long enough to get a fair crack at all
the propagation opportunities. This is especially true during the afternoon
when (in a good year!) 10 and 15 are wide open both to the east (YB, DU, BY
and all that stuff) and to the west (USA). It needs two days of propagation
to work the QSOs and the mults. And it takes a 48-hour event to make it
worthwhile setting up major stations in the Caribbean, 5U5, etc, etc.

Personally, although I rarely manage the full 48 nowadays, I can usually put
in about 46 hours without problems. This year my first sleep after Friday
morning was 0430-0630 Sunday morning, then nothing else until after the
contest ended. I didn't even find myself hallucinating or falling asleep
over the operating table as sometimes happens. My "best" was the year I
operated from GJ and was awake from the ferry docking at some unearthly hour
on the Friday until after the contest finished on the Sunday (I had to clear
the operating area immediately after the contest, as this was GJ3YHU's work
QTH), about 70 hours in all. That was rough! Sadly, when in GU in 1998, I
almost managed the same thing, but fell asleep at the operating desk at 2200
on the Sunday. That cost me a 2nd place Europe - G4BUO just pipped me (being
a younger man than me, he obviously had more stamina!) and pushed me into
third. But, to me, that's part of the game - this is a sport (radiosporting)
and you need to be physically up to it (though I do worry, when I see some
of the folk at rallies, etc!!!). Yes, there are domestic issues, but how
many of these "marathons" do we do each year - for many of us only the one,
or maybe two at most.

Don G3XTT