[UK-CONTEST] 40m + 80m Portable Antenna?

Don Beattie g3ozf at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 2 15:20:03 EST 2004

Stewart,

For a number of years I used a "half-W3DZZ" vertical at home. It was a 40
metre quarter wave, then a 7 MHz trap, and a 22 ft (or so - adjust to tune
the 80m resonance) top section for 80m. Construction was 2" aluminium
scaffold pole up to 33ft, then a 5/8 CB antenna set of ali sections for the
top bit. Between the two, I had some strong fibreglass tube to insulate the
two sections, with the trap bridging the gap. I used one of the commercially
available 7 MHz traps. The design is the same as the Mosley V4-8 model of
about 30 years ago (long since discontinued). I have put it up single
handedly, provided you are prepared to lay out a four-guy system, and use a
small gin-pole. If you are prepared to sacrifice a little in radiation
pattern, you can use wire for the top 22ft, and have it more or less
horizontal. In that case, you can use smaller diameter for the bottom 33ft !

Performance ? It worked great - for example, I was one of the very few
stations to work VK0MM back in the late '80's/early '90s on 80 SSB (still
daylight), and it always did well on both bands. Not so good for inter-G of
course, because of the low angle, but with a good few radials, it is a good
DX antenna.

Alternatively, the HF2V is a reasonably good DX antenna, although a little
narrow on 80m. I don't think there are really other dual-band antennas of
the single element vertical type that would come near these two. I'd steer
clear of "multi-band" verticals - on 80 they seem to me to be a poor
compromise.

The question is, do you want DX performance, or UK/Europe ? If the latter,
I'd consider a straightforward trap dipole (about 110 ft overall) in
inverted-V configuration. Just one central pole (about 45ft would do) and it
would be better than the vertical for close-in QSOs.

Hope this helps.

73 and HNY,

Don, G3BJ