[UK-CONTEST] Cut Numbers

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 2 09:32:49 EDT 2004

I am sure I have seen a full listing, something like : 1=A, 2=U, 3=S, 4=(?),
5=E, 6=D, 7=G, 8=O, 9=N, 0=T. This thread raged for a long time on the
Writelog Reflector. I have looked at the archives for some history on the
topic but could only find this :

>> It is time to stop the madness. Just say NO to cut numbers.
>   I respectfully disagree. I "grew up" making my living with Morse code at
sea. We used cut numbers extensively sending WXOBS messages, which were
5-letter groups of numbers. Cut numbers are the only way to go when the
expected traffic is numerals,
such as in contest exchanges. Hans, K0HB.

Anyone tried the opposite? There seems to be just as many people using
elongated numbers, as in didadadadadah for 1 and dadididididit for 6. The
guy who gave me dadididididididit got a repeat from me with a few extra dits
for luck, he still came back with the elongated number!

Chris GSSJJ

---