[UK-CONTEST] NFD G4OBK/P Low Power

Phil Catterall G4OBK g4obk at philcatterall.plus.com
Sun Jun 6 17:43:26 EDT 2004

Good to see some claimed scores on the reflector - I just registered!

Ken G4RWD and myself hadn't been involved in NFD for about 14 years so we
thought we'd have a go this time in the QRP (We like the 12 hours), section
and help keep the event alive. As members of the GMDX Group we entered under
that name.

Nice flat site among agricultural land in the Vale of Pickering about 25
miles NE ofYork. We used battery power (two) and apart from the one on the
car going flat at 0120z and killing the laptop and lighting the TX battery
survived throughout no problem. Fortunately we did not lose any data when
the battery expired. We split our time up and operated 1630-1830z,
1930-0140z, 0930-1120z and 1220-1320z to make 439 valid QSOs. Noted that
many /P stations were QRV but weren't registered. Seems a shame.

Rig was TS570DG (recently purchased by me from G3GIQ!)  running a strict 10
watts and a 255 feet doublet at 10m AGL, fed via 300 ohm twin. The auto ATU
in the TS570 coped on every band except 40m which was nice. Pity that 10m
and 15m were so poor. We worked many Germans on 40m on Sunday morning
despite QRP, seems the skip was just right for us. We operated from a tent
and the cuckoo nearby never shut up! Claimed score:

1940

Phil Catterall G4OBK
GMDX Group

---