[UK-CONTEST] NFD 2004 10m QSOs Preliminary Thoughts - longish comment

Steve Reed steve at explore.plus.com
Wed Jun 9 19:21:21 EDT 2004

I didn't take part in NFD but 10m propagation in contests is a subject on
which I have a particular interest, so perhaps I may be permitted to make
some observations?  Actually I was operating in the UK 6m Group contest
(which overlaps NFD) from within the M4 corridor and I was monitoring 10m
beacons as a propagation aid throughout the contest, so I am not making my
observations completely blind...

Chris is correct in highlighting location as the principal external
influence on 10m inter-UK scores. An average station has a typical range of
about 100 km for "local" QSOs.  To be pedantic, these are not ground wave
beyond a few tens of km but are tropospheric forward scatter - 10m behaving
in this instance like a poorly performing VHF band.  Open section stations
on a high, clear site may be able to work 200 km, especially if there are
enhancements (which on 10m are most likely at dawn and dusk).  Antenna
cross-polarisation is a killer though.  Clearly you do need to be within
range of the population centres to maximise station availability and score.
 South Oxfordshire gets my vote for population/activity centre-of-gravity.

Its rare not to have at least some 10m sporadic E on every day in June:
there certainly was sporadic E about during the contest but you'd have to
have been on your toes to make the most of it.  The best spell on Saturday
at my QTH was around 19z and as late as 2130z I worked 5B4 via double hop
on 6m - but how many NFD participants are thinking 10m at that time?  On
Sunday mid-morning I was hearing the EA4DAT 10m beacon loudly for over an
hour.  Geographic advantages for working sporadic E are not easy to
characterise.  Over a season, southern UK stations undoubtedly see more
sporadic E than northern UK stations, but each individual event has its own
characteristics and on the day any area may be favoured.  When conditions
are marginal (as last weekend) northern stations might have a slight
advantage because only long hops are supported - i.e. towards the 2000 km
range.  This is because if you are in northern Britain more of the
populated continent falls into this range than if you are in the south.
 For example, at my (southern) QTH last weekend an arc from 9A through
southern Italy and 9H to southern EA and CN8 was available on 6m: most of
my 2000km hop "catchment" lay in the Med, which doesn't provide much in the
way of QSOs!

There is always some propagation on 10m, though it may not be worth the
effort required to make a QSO.  If you really *need* to make 10m QSOs then
try meteor scatter.  Available very day in the early mornings, very
reliable at 1000 km range, no particular geographic bias.  Needs reasonable
ERP but, and more to the point, time to make the QSO and someone at the
other end who knows what's going on.  How very frustrating to hear in the
bursts someone replying to your call with "sorry, QSB, please call
later..."  OK, not for NFD perhaps...

I for one would be interested to see more analysis from the NFD logs.  The
right kind of worm can to open.  Perhaps some information on time of
contact would be useful?

A final, general comment.  Inferences about propagation from contest
results may be limited because:

1) activity levels on one band are inter-dependent on the activity levels
on other bands.  In this case stations are unlikely to spend much time on
10m when QSO rates are better (or thought to be better) on other bands,
even with QSO point advantages; and

2) only 1 QSO is allowed with each station per band so if you have worked
the available stations any subsequent changes in propagation will not be
reflected in the log. It doesn't sound like this was much of a problem last
weekend!

Steve G0AEV
.