[UK-CONTEST] IOTA Multi-Op Logging Software

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 14 16:59:06 EDT 2004

Jim, at GU6D, GU7D and GU8D, we ran NA logging software by K8CC from our
first effort in 1996. Last year we changed to Writelog.

NA handled serial numbers better (we thought at the time) and networking via
serial ports was very easy, but this is a DOS program and old hat now. It
usually crashed just a couple of times but on the whole was reliable, we
reckoned.

Writelog was very stable, once we understood its network requirements
especially when you mix Win XP, 98 etc. We had all the bits and pieces
tagged on that you mention, except that we used ethernet and a hub.

On serial numbers, NA would only allocate a serial number when you entered a
contact so on the mult station you had to time your allocation and QSO
entering correctly, otherwise you could give wrong number. We often wasted
time getting this right.

Writelog had what we thought at the time was an odd system. As soon as you
enter a callsign, it allocates a number and doesn't update it or alter it.
So if your Run station is running at 200 an hour and you don't log the Mult
QSO for 30 minutes, it will be 100 out of sequence. If you read the rules,
this is not a problem, as there is no mention of sequential serial numbers.
The main thing is to make sure the receiving station gets the number you
have given.

QUOTE : 6. EXCHANGE: Send RS(T) and serial number starting from 001, plus
IOTA reference number if applicable (island stations MUST include the IOTA
reference as part of their exchange with every QSO). Do not use separate
numbering systems for CW and SSB. Stations may be contacted on both CW and
SSB on each band.

Chris G3SJJ, op at GU8D