[UK-CONTEST] Something different for a change.

Andy swiffin a.l.swiffin at dundee.ac.uk
Tue Jun 15 09:00:47 EDT 2004

>SUNSPOT WATCH: If you learned how to safely look at the Sun last week
>view the transit of Venus, look again. Two big sunspot groups, each
larger
>than Venus, have just emerged over the Sun's eastern limb. This could
>signal a period of increased solar activity in the days ahead.
>
>Guess it is a case of watch this space (no pun intended)

http://www.spacew.com/ has this to say:
New sunspot Region 634 spawned a minor class M1 x-ray flare at 11:56
UTC on 13 June and appears to have the potential to produce occasional
M-class activity....A larger and potentially equally active sunspot
group is just coming into view around the southeast limb. It too, may
have M-class flare potential.

Always a shame when we get auroras at this time of the year - we can
hardly see them here, it _never_ goes properly dark from now on till mid
July.  At 2AM on Sunday morning last weekend the sky was still light
blue.  Still, the auroras last October were good, the sky was completely
full here, shame the "super blast" happened when that spot had moved
round the side :-)

Cheers
Andy
gm8oeg