[UK-CONTEST] DVK

Steve Bunting stephen.bunting at kcl.ac.uk
Thu May 6 11:16:06 EDT 2004

Folks,

I also use N1MM logger and I always use the soundcard option. It took a
bit of getting going as I was being dim, but Tom has changed the system
since and I now have no problems. I use the Data inputs and on both my
FT-847 and 756PRO with no problems via a standard homebrew
"soundcard interface". The advantage is that one touch of
the PTT and the DVK stops, the disadvantage is the with my FT-847 the
processor is not in line during CQs. The levels are quite touchy to set
up, and I had to take great care and also solicit several on air reports
to make sure things were OK. IMO, overall its a winner. This works
on 2x laptops and 2x desktops that I have run recently.

I do have one of the old model MFJs as well. This is poor. There is no
interupt, I have doubled its weight with ferrite to stop RFI and I also
have to run it off a small 12V gel cell to avoid all manner of ugly
noises (other than my voice) coming out the other end. Having said that
it does the business for me on 23cm these days.

The problem is that I have got so lazy that when I dont have my DVK I
can't be bothered to call CQ for more than an hour in the VHF
contests.......

Cheers for now
Steve
M0BPQ