[UK-CONTEST] GW3NJW WPX SOSB15 HP

Clive Whelan gw3njw at onetel.net.uk
Mon May 31 14:12:21 EDT 2004

Bottom line

950 QSOs
1226 pts
442 prefixes
541,392 Score

Well Murphy certainly called and stayed at this QTH for WPX!

Prior to the contest, had to swap out the TS870 run radio because of an- as
yet- undetermined keying problem. Then the digital hash problem using tuned
feeders on the doublet, was even wore than anticipated, and significantly
masked weaker signals. Of course at this stage in the sun spot cycle, there
were more weak signals than we have become accustomed to over the last
several years. This meant that anybody at S4 or less was Q4 at best, and
probably Q3 in most cases. This is simply not an issue with coax fed
antennas, but for those-like me- in the antenna challenged department, tuned
feeders are de rigeur to make a single wire work on six bands.

Then the antenna tuner used for this set up overheated after a succession of
unanswered CQs. This was at a genuine 400 watts o/p, and yet the commercial
device is rated at 1000 watts. I think that if it were given that amount of
power, it would simply melt or catch fire! So, took the lid off the ATU, and
then immediately got RF in the keyer! The moral here I think is avoid the
T-match type tuner, which has a very wide matching capability, but quite
unacceptable throughput losses. This probably doesn't really matter in
everyday use, after all what's 20 odd watts of loss in 400?, but in contest
style duty cycle, it is certainly not acceptable. Moral, use an L network if
you have to use an ATU.

Then the local 11kV, started acting up. This is usually pretty clean, but
after all the very dry wx ( yes even in GW!), and then a sprinkle of rain on
Friday, the insulators started arcing, and further masked the weaker
signals. Oh well this is an inevitable consequence of country living, and
the GW climate usually  ensures his is not a problem!

As for conditions, well as one might expect at this point in the 11 year
cycle I suppose. The North American path was particularly affected, and when
stations like KQ2M and K1AR are S7 at best, then you just know you will
never even hear the guys with 100 watts and G5RVs, who are usually the
mainstay of the 3 pt QSOs in this event.

Station:

TS870
Alpha 78 at 400 watts
Antennas 88ft inverted vee doublet at 27ft a.g.l., W1CF/Butternut hybrid
triangle.
Writelog 10.47E

73

Clive