[UK-CONTEST] Contest callsigns etc

Chris Tran ZL1CT zl1ct at gm7v.com
Mon Nov 1 23:30:12 EST 2004

Hello all

Always interesting to follow the debates (and the squabbles) on this
reflector from here in New Zealand.

Without wishing to offend Colin (remember our QSOs on 4m back in the 80s?) I
would point out that these are *UK* contest callsigns, not *RSGB* contest
callsigns - this may seem a small point but I have always regarded these
callsigns as being issued by the UK licensing authority, with the
administration of them devolved to the RSGB. Consequently, I don't seriously
believe that there are a lot of people waiting to blame the RSGB for the
operating procedures of a small minority of UK contesters in the heat of
battle in a major world-wide event.

As I've said before, it's really noticeable from here how difficult it is to
work back to the UK on 40m because of the QRM at your end - for example MD4K
was a strong signal here for several hours and was being called on their
frequency by half of Oceania, but while I listened (and also called) they
were not hearing any DX through the wall of Eu callers and QRM. The extra UK
40m allocation will help - there are lots of empty spaces above 7100
depending on the time of day.

73
Chris
ZL1CT