[UK-CONTEST] Bandplans and other matters

Mike Farmer G3VAO at hortonbc.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 04:36:49 EST 2004

I have followed the discussion on band plans with considerable interest and have decided that we are all missing a essential point and may even be concentrating on a problem about which we can do very little. Where there are problems which we could do an awful lot.   For what it's worth here's my penny's worth on band plans

As I understand it they are advisable therefore not mandatory if there are any Contest points (not just multipliers) to be had then I will operate outside of the recommended band plans - that also applies to the recommended "contest segments".

Now for 2 areas where I think we (the UK amateurs) could do something.  We could introduce Geography to the Licence exams and we should set up a UK amateur radio monitoring facility.

Why Geography - it may stop the following:

DX station "QRZ Contest South America and Pacific"

UK station using Contest Callsign "G~~"

DX station "I said QRZ Contest South America and Pacific"

UK station using Contest Callsign "G~~" and UK station "G3~~~"

DX station "Seems like the UK has moved I said QRZ Contest South America and Pacific"

UK station using Contest Callsign "G~~" and UK station "G3~~~"

DX station "Since when has the UK been in South America or the Pacific said QRZ Contest South America and Pacific"

Nothing from the UK but I could hear two ZS stations calling him

Guess what - he worked them both

Monitoring Service

This requires a little technical knowledge (what the heck, it is almost a technical hobby) Can anyone explain to me how signals originating in the north of the Kingdom can be over 7KHz wide? (Please bear in mind that I was dragged up with valve technology and holes moving in transistors almost blew my brain cell!)

SSB signals are (I believe) supposed to be around 3KHz (or less) wide and the UK licence limits our power to 400watts.   Checking against other stations (some closer some further away) showed that most of them were either less than 3Khz and certainly less that 4KHz wide.  That seems to give my Rx a clean bill of heath.  I know of no propagation feature that extends the bandwidth of a signal, however, it is a fact that more power = more bandwidth and badly adjusted equipment = more bandwidth.   To whistle into a microphone and say nothing wrong at my end is complete rubbish.

My proposed solution is for the RSGB to take the lead in the maintenance of standards in our hobby. They should set up a network of amateurs, who have the necessary equipment, to look at the received signals and if found wanting the offending stations should be warned there and then (ON AIR). Perhaps the Contest committee should take part.

The activity of the stations I heard (in my opinion) fail both their geography and technical tests and this  brings UK amateur radio into disrepute.  The offending stations using a Select Contest Callsign make this worse.

We used to lead the world - now it appears that we follow and in doing so we pick up all the bad habits.

Wow that was long but my chest is now a lot lighter.  Any comments from the RSGB or Contest Committee would be appreciated. By the way I am not claiming to be perfect but I do try to be (occasionally)! Yes I do break speed limits and if and when caught expect to be punished.

Mike

G3VAO

Its just a hobby (with more rules than normal)