[UK-CONTEST] CQWW 2004

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Tue Nov 2 04:41:49 EST 2004

The issue of 40m and 160m bandplan flouting crops up of course every
year. Although I can see why those who do it do so, and that there is
very little chance of changing the situation, I firmly oppose the
practice. It is simply bad manners to do so (nor do I condone those
who deliberately QRM them, equally bad manners).

As a CW operator, I was not following CQWW SSB myself though. But it
is worth saying to those who say 'go to one of the other bands' that
after dark, when most of the out of bandplan operation took place,
propagation meant that only 80m was available in any case. The higher
bands were effectively closed.

During the CW leg (which I am looking forward to) I am equally aware
that operating above 7040 (or in fact 7035 if you include the data
chaps) is likely to upset SSB operators. As such I try to avoid
operating up there when there is obvious SSB activity. But this is a
grey area, as the CW band in the USA extends up to 7150 (and CW is in
any case allowed in our bandplan). They are operating in their legal
band segment. I would imagine in the CW contest there will be
appreciable CW activity up to 7150 for that reason.

As pointed out, all the posts on here are from the contest community.
You would get a less biassed response from the general amateur
community, including the many SSB operators who are precluded from
using ANY of their bands during contest weekends.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com