[UK-CONTEST] Re: UK-Contest Digest, Vol 23, Issue 7

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 3 19:40:25 EST 2004

G3ZRJ wrote

< the
only way a UK team or single op can win the big International contests is to
run humungous amounts of power to compete with (certain countries) where ex
military TXs of at least 10 kW are commonly employed - even then the "bonus
dBs"of a rare DX call make the chances of a UK station coming out as overall
winner as pretty remote.>

An apparently compelling viewpoint, I have to concur, but which I caution
should not be taken too much to heart. There are indeed examples of UK
stations coming very close to the top of the pile in international events,
such as are under discussion- although sadly not in great numbers.

Clearly I have no direct knowledge of the power levels used at most of these
stations, although I seriously doubt that this exceeds the limits of popular
off the shelf commercial amps.; admittedly however, this can exceed 400
watts. However, and this is a very important point, I am personally
acquainted with one such high finisher, who categorically does not exceed
400 watts at the antenna terminal. This station has finished as high as nr.
2 Eu in both CQWW and WAE in the SOA HP category, and-I believe- has never
been out of the top ten Eu in CQWW over a ten year+ time span. Does he ( OK
I admit it's not a gal!) have a good antenna system:yes. Doe he have a mega
station: absolutely not.

So how does he achieve this, well I'll give you a clue: he is a ( expletive
deleted) good operator, and highly committed with stamina that leaves me
personally in awe ( OK I admit it I am no spring chicken now!). So let us
not sell ourselves short, we have amongst the best operators around,
although sadly we may now be a dying breed, ameliorated in no measure by our
hopelessly inadequate licencing structure.

Oh did I mention, this guy does not operate outside of agreed- yes
gentleman's agreement- band plans. This could be because he is a gentleman.

</SERMON>

73

Clive
GW3NJW

Thus we are not competing on an International level in major Contests so the
parallel with  International "sports" does not apply - unless stations
grossly violate their licensing conditions.... which of course they don't.

"International" Contesting has no real parallels with other sports,  would
you accept an entrant in a cycle race turning up and competing on a 1000c
motor cycle?

Lets not confuse "sport" with what we do,  there is no "level playing field"
in contesting, and those who "win" cannot say "we are better than you and
thats why we won"

even if everyone ran 100W from an FT1000MP into a multiband doublet at 30
feet the variables of HF propagation, soil conductivity,  local topography,
proximity to large areas of water etc etc mitigate against HF contests being
a measure of operating skill, in the existing regime in which there is a
vast disparity between antennas and power o/p the idea of a "sport" is in my
view quite ludicrous.

I will continue to enter contests, even win the odd one, at least I can hold
my head up and say that I do obey the rules AND abide by my licence
regulations,  when I win or get a certificate having run 100W max into
simple wires or a ground mounted Butternut HF6V I can with some pride hang
the paperwork on the wall, but could never say to someone who got less
points that I was better than them because of the variables mentioned above.
I suppose it comes down to being able to look yourself in the eye in the
shaving mirror (make up mirror) and truely say that it was your operating
abilities that largely accounted for your success.

73 and look forward to working you in the next Contest
       Tony G 3 Z R J