[UK-CONTEST] CQWW CW - G4IIY - SOAB HP

ian fugler ian at g4iiy.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 16:13:48 EST 2004

In the week leading up to CQWW, I only had a 30m g/p available.  I toyed
with a single band entry (not 30m obviously).  But I knew that my operating
time was going to be severely restricted - none of the 40+ hours that I have
managed in previous years.  In the end, I put up some verticals for 80-10m
and a 275 foot windom for 160m.

I started off at around 04:00, having been awoken by the XYL asking if I was
doing the contest or what.  (I passed on the what!)  For the first five
hours I ran 100W, but then decided that I was not going to fill those band
slots to increase my 2004 CW Table score that way.  So the linear was
pressed in to action for the remainder.

I made about 1000 QSOs through to just after midnight, with numerous breaks
for domestics.  The interruptions were even greater on Sunday and I only
managed a total of 400 contacts all day.  I agree with the comments about
the bands closing early.  Even 80m seemed quiet on Sunday evening.  I was
spoilt for choice when looking for a run frequency.  There are too many one
point QSOs in the log.  I had only one half decent run of three pointers
working about 250 Ws in less than two hours on 20m.

I thought UK activity was up this year.  There are around 20 Gs in the log
on both 80 and 40m.  I can only assume that I was a mult for them.

Next year, I will have moved from an indoor shack to a new, purpose-built
one in the garden.  So the incessant interruptions from the family will be a
thing of the past.  I intend going in there on the Friday night, loaded with
sufficient supplies so as to allow me to emerge again at midnight on Sunday.
Any design hints for a 25 by 15 feet shack would be welcomed direct, please.
It's only at the planning permission stage so far.

Details:

FT1000MP   Explorer 1200 amp  Verticals/ Windom  Software - Write-log (No
cluster)

Band           Q        Z        DX
160             70      5       36
80               410    14     66