[UK-CONTEST] G(U)2FRO SK

Chris Burbanks g3sjj at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 7 06:45:30 EDT 2004

I received the sad news today that Eric G(U)2FRO had passed away. He had
been declining in health for a while and left Sark 2 years ago to live in
Yelverton, Devon. There will be no funeral service at his request. Yvonne
and I were fortunate to visit Eric and Penny in August and subsequently sent
photos and information to enable them to visit Rick Stein's Fisherie in
Padstow. They did so in September and had an enjoyable day.

In WW2 he flew fighter aircraft and after the war raced cars at Silverstone.
As G2FRO Eric lived near Nottingham and owned a lace factory until he sold
up when he was 55. On Sark he did many vhf/uhf experiments several Firsts.
Later he became interested in LF Dxing and had a pair of phased 80m Delta
Loops. The GU8D IOTA Contest group operated from Eric's QTH on Sark for 4
years from 1996.

I hope to see Penny soon when she comes up to Nottingham to visit his
family, I would like to try and get some more information on Eric's past and
write a tribute to him.  You may guess I am feeling just a bit emotional at
present.

Chris G3SJJ
---