[UK-CONTEST] Re: spinner n plugs

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Oct 11 18:02:00 EDT 2004

Col wrote:
>Hi all
>
>does anyone have instructions for fitting the spinner n plugs westlake sell
>for ldf550 7/8 heliax.
>i know its not rocket science but would like to get it right 1 st time a web
>search has come up with nothing. I have N females.

The main trick is to cut the cable SQUARE across, exactly at the TOP of
one of the corrugations. Then cut the swarf off with a sharp blade, and
flare the copper so the cone part fits all the way snugly inside. Start
by working around with fine-nosed pliers, and maybe tap the cone in with
a soft mallet. Then the two shells should latch onto the corrugations in
the right place to pull the copper down hard onto the cone, all around
its perimeter. You will have to crank the back nut down very tight - a
bit of grease on the thread will help.

The centre pin is obvious - it just plugs in.

The other feature is that it has to be locked and sealed by injecting
something into the hole in the barrel. I used non-acetic silicone
rubber, with a plastic nozzle screwed into the hole so it cuts a thread,
and then trimmed off flush inside. Tape tightly around the end to stop
it all coming out that way, and keep squeezing the silicone in until it
comes out of the little weep hole on the opposite side.

Don't use the silicone until everything is firmly tightened down!  If
the plug will rotate on the cable, then for sure it's not tight enough
yet.

Hope that makes sense...

--
73 from Ian G3SEK