[UK-CONTEST] FT1kMP Tune-Up

Chris Burbanks g3sjj at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 20 15:07:59 EDT 2004

I guess most people have sussed this one but thought I would pass it on
anyway. With the absence of a front panel Tune facility on the MP I have
always found it annoying particularly on SSB when I want to tune up my amp.
I used to put it into CW and use the Tune buttons on my external keyer and
occasionally have put it into FM, (always wondered why they included the
mode so guess that is the answer.)

I was trawling the Ft1kMP site recently and found this trick. Make up a lead
with a switch and 2 resistors in parallel, 47k & 56K, at one end. Wire it so
that the Rs are switched across the lead (preferably screened.) Terminate
with a mono 3.5mm jack and plug it into the remote socket on the back panel.
Select appropriate tune power Menu 4.3. Works a treat. For even quicker
tuning when moving round bands rapidly, you could wire it to a footswitch
operated by the opposite foot to which you would normally use your tx
footswitch. I guess the 25K is the appropriate tap on a resistance matrix to
select the Tune facility.

Also, when using Writelog, I have used the Keyboard Shorcuts facility to
rename Alt T to RadioTune though I think I prefer the footswitch method as
it minimises hand movement.

Of course, if you have an Auto-Tune amp this is all irrelevant!

Chris G3SJJ
---