[UK-CONTEST] More about DX loops

Andy Summers andy.summers at ttpcom.com
Thu Apr 7 13:04:21 EDT 2005

Hi Callum, hope you don't mind me wading in...

Even for 1-wavelength circumference loops the highest radiation resistance
(and therefore antenna efficiency) is obtained by maximising the enclosed
area. Maximum enclosed area is realised with a circular loop. Quad and delta
loops are convenient physical realisations at the expense of a very small
loss in efficiency. You can infer here that a quad loop's efficiency is
slightly better than a delta loop. Sticking with the delta, maximum
efficiency (& Z) is obtained with an equilateral triangle. This gives a Z of
about 100 Ohms. If you turn it into an isoscolese the Z will reduce as base
length is altered +/- about the ideal equilateral length. It's therefore
possible to match directly to 50R coax. You do start to notice the
efficiency loss then apparently.

Regarding 100-to-50 Ohm matching, yes you can use 75 Ohm coax for your
1/4-wave transformer. The required Zo is an easy calculation: Zo =
sqrt(Z1*Z2) = 70.7 Ohms. You can rearrange this equation to see what you get
with 75 Ohm coax: Z2 = 75^2/100 = 56.25 Ohms. Close enough.

There may be some argument about whether the antenna should be fed as a
balanced or unbalanced antenna. If it's the latter then coax is fine. The
VSWR is not very high on it so it should stay fairly low loss. If you feed
an apex-up vertical delta 1/4-wave from the apex you've really got two bent
vertical dipoles fed in-phase. You'd feed a vertical dipole with coax,
wouldn't you? It's a different kettle of fish with horizontal loops because
it's symmetric about ground physically and is therefore clearly balanced.

Hope this was of some help.
73,
Andy, G4KNO.