[UK-CONTEST] EU SPRINT SSB - GW4BLE

Lee Volante lee at g0mtn.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 04:34:04 EDT 2005

Hi,

I guess it should work both ways.....

Tonno's told me before he works shedloads of M3's, G1's, 2M0's etc. on 20m
who are casual op's in the contest.  Unfortunately we don't seem to have as
many casual ES / LY / YL / UA3 stations to work in return.

If the casual G ops would come down to 40m and 80m later on, then it would
make a difference to us in the UK, but it seems that most don't.  But the
good news was I felt there were as many serious UK guys on yesterday as
there have even been, which did make the final moments on 80m easier than
normal.

Fil / Pedro CT1ILT made 166 QSOs on 20m from the south side of Europe, but
really struggled on 80m.  So, where's the best place to do this contest from
now ?   The old time record was made at ZD8 (just on 20m), but that's been
broken by Tonno now.  For 20m, on the edge of Europe seems best, but only
where there is a lot of activity on the other, and as you move down to 40
and 80, you must still be close enough to be able to work the bulk of the
central Europeans easily.

UK stations have been placed #1 / #2 / #3 in the past too if I remember
correctly so we're not out of the running - was that down to activity or
fortunate short skip say on 20m ?   To complete the experiment, would
someone like to fund the building of a 4 stack of tribanders just like
Tonno's and we'll see how it works from over here :-)

My comment from yesterday:  I never beat GM3POI, GW4BLE or M0BBB in a
pile-up. Never mind - well done guys. 183 QSO here - not bad, but always
room for improvement.  Dipole support fell down twice during the contest.
There's an adage that your antennas are not high enough if they don't fall
down.  Mine are falling down, but it's a bit sad it's at less than 30 feet
hi.

73,

Lee G0MTN