[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC RTTY

Jim Martin - MM0BQI MM0BQI at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 11:09:54 EDT 2005

Spent the afternoon remaking the loaded dipole (water in the PL259/balun
connection) and getting a few extra feet in height above the roof.  All set
nice and early, lots of activity so thought a change of tactics called for.
RUN!  What a total waste of time and effort!  I should have known better,
but the excitement of fixing the antenna, setting the amp for a full 100
watts output and what sounded like good conditions got the better of me.
Found a clear spot about 3595 fifteen minutes before the start but as soon
as the contest started it was swamped with stations calling CQ.  After ten
minutes I gave up and found quieter spots but the QSO rate was very slow.
Were conditions very noisy down south last night? Did a bit of S+P but could
not get into the swing of things at all.  Ended up winding a coil for a new
80M vertical with auto CQ working away.  Needless to say I was not
interrupted much!
Had two instances of stations answering my CQ with their call and full
report and one station who failed to confirm the QSO and wet straight to his
QRZ message.  Kept calling him to get my call confirmed but was ignored so
wiped it from the log. Heard him later still not sending a QSL or TU so
hopefully many others will have deleted the contact as well.
Now that the contests are established and lots of participants are excited
about contesting.  Sitting on the same frequency for an hour and a half,
calling CQ and having lots of folks call you, maybe we can introduce some
challenging new rules?
My enthusiasm for these events is waning, maybe it's just following a bad
night but I failed to get any buzz out of last nights event. Who knows I
will hit 100 Qs in the next one and all will be sunshine and light again!
Despite my personal feelings the events are a great success and all credit
to those responsible. Well done, and yes I will be back in May!
73
Jim,  MM0BQI
43 Qs, 100w to loaded dipole running N1MM logger with MMTTY.

** IOTA DXpedition EU108 Treshnish Isles June 2005
www.qsl.net/mm0bqi/eu108.htm **
       **IOTA Contest DXpedition  July 2005 MM0Q  Summer Isles EU092 **