[UK-CONTEST] 1.8MHz Contest chez G3XTT

Donald Field g3xtt at lineone.net
Sun Feb 13 10:07:16 EST 2005

Well, let me give a "latecomer's" view.

My brother is visiting this weekend, so I didn't get on until about 2330.
Thought I would stay in one place and call CQ, and see who was on the ball!
It appears that BUO and WGV had similar ideas - I never did hear Dave, and
only caught John in the last 30 secs of the contest when I had a quick tune
to see who was about.

Heard some huge serial numbers being passed when I arrived on the band
(well, 150 or so), so expected a big pile-up, but it never really happened.
Maybe many of the early players had gone to bed by then? (And, yes, IZD's
antenna had fallen down, having seen Ivan's post!). SJJ scores high marks
for being the first "big gun" to find me, but TSH/P, BJ, BJM, etc. all got
there in due course. Very weak signals from G at times, whereas loud signals
from around EU, and a couple of transatlantic QSOs. 73 Q's in the end:

UK 37 (G GI GM GW)
LY 1
YL 1
W 1
VE 1
SP 1
OY 1
LA 1
F 1
UR 2
UA 2
OK 3
EI 3
ON 4
PA 4
DL 9

(I think that adds up to 72, but it's near enough!)

So exactly 50% UK, 50% non-UK. For the first time, spotted the subliminal
message which comes up in SD when you work Paul - "You deserve extra points
for this QSO" - quite so!

Station: FT-1000MP MkV (no INRAD yet), Quadra, inv-L at 80ft.

73 Don G3XTT