[UK-CONTEST] rotating guy rings

g3ory at lineone.net g3ory at lineone.net
Tue Feb 15 04:01:53 EST 2005

Dave,

We have both obviously spent many hours putting up pipe masts; maybe a perverse
kind of mis-spent youth?

There are a couple of points that I could not agree with you:

1. Having the rotator at the top of the pipe mast seriously increases the
head load.  It is not the effort to raise the load that, in my view, is the
problem. It is the fact that if the top of the mast goes a bit out of alignment
at any point, the extra head load make catastrophic failure more likely,
and also gives you less time to try to prevent it happening!
An alternative solution that we at DMUARS have found very successful is to
fabricate a hinged 'cage' for the rotator at the bottom of the mast.  The
rotator is positioned inside the cage. It looks pretty much like a head unit
for a Versatower, except for the hinge on one of the bottom edges.  The bottom
section of the scaf pole mast is inside an 18 inch long sleeve positioned
above the rotator and aligned with it. This prevents excessive side forces
being exerted on the rotator during the erection process.

2. The problem with external scaffold couplers is that they are too short
for critical applications.  We use them most of the time but when putting
a 20 ft scaf pole as the top mast section with the upper 12 feet unsupported
(to allow for 4 vertically stacked 70cm yagis that must be rotatable through
360 degrees without fouling the guys) we find the 10 bolt coupler to be best
because it makes for a more rigid join.  Naturally the 10 bolt coupler must
close up on 1 29/32 inch scaf, but all of ours seem to this without problems.

73

Bob
G3ORY