[UK-CONTEST] Jan 80m CC CW

John MacLean MM0CCC mm0ccc at v21.me.uk
Mon Jan 3 17:54:30 EST 2005

Made a New Years Resolution to have a go at some of the CC contests, as they
appeared to prove quite popular in 2004.

7 minutes in and the XYL complains that the "scart had come loose on the
VCR" as the picture kept breaking up.  Of course the scart was fine and it
was my HF6V with a very inefficent radial system that was the cause of the
problem!  Managed to compromise by promising I'd only S&P but boy was it
hard going. 14 QSO's in total.

Signals from G/GW were weak with fast QSB and many repeats required.  The
only "local" I heard was Stewart AFF who was a decent signal here, as were a
few DL's I heard answering some CQ's from the G stations, so I guess the
propagation was not favourable for the distances in between.   I don't
suppose the antenna helped much either, mind you.  Must try to improve on
this.
Gave up after 45 mins as I was hearing nothing new.  I think conditions
varied quite a bit from session to session last year, so I wont be too
discouraged!

FT1000MP
100 watts
HF6V