[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC CW

Cooper, Stewart coopers at odl.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 08:09:19 EST 2005

><Keying
>stumbled occasionally, not known that recently. Sometimes when I pressed F4
>to send my callsign it started half way through.>

How bizarre - I also had this problem! In my case it was caused by a new set of relays which I put into my DX Doubler. It looks like I'll have to adjust CT (not a Windows program!) keying delay to handle this in some way. I'd never have imagined that one relay switching another relay would make that much difference.
I thought everyone was weak, but most heard me when I called, although I had to do a lot of repeating. I felt that southern G's were obviously having a problem hearing me - high noise, etc. I had a highish background noise level, which was worse on Sunday.
I used two radios, and two verticals. A quarter wave with lots of radials and an HF2V with 2 radials which I threw into the air in the dark before the contest. It turned out to be a waste of time, but I thought I'd try it anyway. I ran on 3529 and searched using the other radio ...and as expected the separation was insufficient (at about 200 yds). This was more to test the DX Doubler auto-SO2R PTT facility than to seriously try SO2R in a single band event!!
I did have a problem with people stealing my run frequency - 3 times. One time was my fault for dwelling too long on a 'pounce'. I don't expect the others heard me. I didn't work them. The EWE antenna did help with a couple of very weak stations, in reducing the background noise.
So, I think I worked about 55 stations (can't remember now) which included a few LYs, DL and F stations.

FT1000MP (100w) + 1/4wave vertical + bev NW + EWE NE
FT847 (100w) + HF2V - no CW filter + digi filter is useless.

Stewart
GM4AFF

What a lot of words for such a short contest! Sorry.

Offshore Design Ltd

www.odl.co.uk

This email is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information. You should not disclose its contents to any other person. Any
unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately.