[UK-CONTEST] Win-Test

Simon Pearson m0clw at ftml.net
Mon Jan 24 11:48:32 EST 2005

Quoting Don Field:
> Actually, what we probably need, platform-independent-wise, is a Web based
> logger, XML-based, that could therefore lend itself to single-op, multi-op,
> single-site, multi-site, etc, etc. Could run directly on the
> contest-sponsor's server, and results could be out in next to no time after
> the contest. Anybody starting to develop anything less than this nowadays is
> really so 20th-century!

Great idea Don and these ideas have been discussed amongst us
young 'ens before... But I wonder if and when such a system
will be implemented? XML would be ideal but perhaps a more
simple method (that could be introduced in the not too distant
future) may be utilising PHP with a MySQL back-end, like Royce
suggests.

Having a web-based system is a bonus for all... It opens up
all sorts of possibilities, most of which won't be realised
until such a system is implemented and in place. It would, of
course, be reliable (as long as the web server stays up) and
more importantly, cross-platform. No more log crashes. I
personally know of a few Linux users who have to boot into
Windows to log QSOs! (*sigh*) I guess the only program you'd
have to run is something to control the CW/voice keying and
CAT control... The only problem I can see with that set-up is
if the web browser has the focus (and thus the program which
controls the CAT and CW/voice keying will lose the focus) then
hitting the F-keys to send messages will not work. Unless
someone can find a way of implementing it into the Windows
shell, but then we are not talking cross-platform....

With a web-based system, like Don/Royce suggests, it could
actually be very exciting as there could also be the
possibility of seeing real-time scores from competitors. Quite
a motivator (if you're 'near the top'). There is also a chance
of being able to see the frequency of stations in real-time.

As each station's logs would be stored on the remote server,
the log checking could be very fast and results could be
posted very soon after the contest date. There'd be no need
for any hard work for the contester in question (an added
bonus for non tech-savvies) as the logs would be stored in the
[MySQL] database which the contest organisers would, of
course, have access to. The other advantage is that *all*
competitors logs would be available making log cross-checking
very easy and near instantaneous. No more 'missing logs' from
stations which I know causes some contest organisers headaches...

The only disadvantage of such a system would be the
requirement for Internet access by the competitor. Quite a
task if you're contesting from a portable location or indeed
operating in a country where Internet access is unavailable,
slow or darn right expensive.

Anyway, a very interesting idea, and I hope a system like the
one described will be with us in the not too distant future.

Simon Pearson
/// M 0 C L W