[UK-CONTEST] HARIG in RSGB IOTA Contest 2005

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Tue Jul 19 17:23:11 EDT 2005

Harwich Amateur Radio Interest Group (HARIG)

RSGB IOTA Contest 2005

Some on this list may recall our little group which occasionally wins
the 160m Club Calls Contest but which is more often simply
participating in large contests such as CQWW, WPX and WAE DX in order
to give opportunities for newcomers and less ardent contesters to
operate in such contests with a better station than they would
otherwise have access to and to improve their skills - albeit resulting
in rather insignificant results-table positions for the group.  However
we have fun and operate the stations on a shoestring and frequently get
good % turnout of our membership to assist in one way or another.

IOTA is not an event that we have traditionally participated in.  (My
last personal involvement was as part of 3Z0I/1 in the Baltic two years
ago!).  This year, however we are trying something different.  One of
the biggest local radio rallies in our area occurs on the Sunday of
IOTA.  Many members of another local group are involved in the
preparation of the rally site on the Saturday.  HARIG has therefore
decided to set up a demo IOTA contest station on the Rally Site for the
weekend operating as our usual contest group call of M4U.   Sure we are
only a bog-standard EU-005 station but hope to make many contacts and
show how busy mixed-mode HF contesting can be fun both for casual
visitors and more potential future contest operators.

I decided to post this following the recent thread about improving and
encouraging the less experienced or casual contest operators, which I
followed with interest.

73,
Jonathan G0DVJ