[UK-CONTEST] Keyer or Keyboard? (Longish)

Gerard Lynch gerrylynch at freenetname.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 18:37:03 EDT 2005

I can certainly do things a lot faster and more convenient on the keyboard,
as one of the generation who have been playing with computers pretty much
since they were out of nappies.

However, I never get the sort of rate from here that makes full keyboard
keying worth bothering about so I tend to send the callsign and incidental
stuff with the paddle and log with both hands during the other op's
exchange.  Somehow I can't hunt and peck instinctively, whereas with two
hands I am instinctive.  Having the serial number programmed into the
function keys in the rig saves making lots of mistakes when I'm tired,
though.

Also I tend to operate at around 30-33 wpm in contests and I ragchew a fair
bit faster outside them, which means I don't have to concentrate on sending
as it's all at a comfortable speed.  It saves a lot of mental effort and it
really is worth doing a bit of QRQ ragchewing to keep the CW skills sharp -
sending and receiving.  Also when I'm playing around with MorseRunner I do
it at speeds (50wpm+) which I'd never even dream of inflicting on people
during a contest, both from uncertainty about other people's copying skills
and my own QSD.

Obviously if I was operating from D4B, I'd have to rethink that strategy!
>From G0RTN, however, it works fine.

73

Gerry G0RTN
Vanity Page at http://www.gerrylynch.co.uk