[UK-CONTEST] Commonwealth Contest - more first timers thoughts

Plucknett, Geoff (UK) geoff.plucknett at baesystems.com
Wed Mar 16 03:12:50 EST 2005

It has taken 32 years but I finally had a go in this event. Just a casual few hours of S&P between the football and rugby and no overnight apart from a quick few VEs on 3.5 at dawn.

What a difference to the normal contest melee. Clear bands, no mega-euro QRM, sensible CW speeds (no machine guns) and some nice DX where it wouldn't normally be possible to even hear the stuff through the mush.

Quick summary:

Band	QSOs	Points	Bonus

3.5 	11	55	200
7	16	80	220
14	41	205	680
21	34	170	540
28	3	15	60

Total 105 QSOs for 2225 points.

IC-706 Mk IIG, 100w, 30m doublet, top at 10m up the usual oak tree, the rest wrapped around the garden to fit.

Best QSOs much like everyone else - VK, ZL, ZS, 7Q7, 9J2, VP9 and all VE areas except 4 and 8.

I won't win any trophies or certificates but what an enjoyable contest. Agree with Gerry and Ian - it is good fun. Like the CC events, I can only encourage a few more CW snailspeeds like myself to have a go.

Geoff G4FKA