[UK-CONTEST] RST - who needs it?

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Fri Mar 18 15:44:14 EST 2005

This one has been done to death on the cq-contest reflector over the
years. Incidentally, for those uk contest reflectorites who aren't aware
of it, the cq-contest reflector has been running for nearly 15 years,
and if you're interested in subscribing or just viewing the archives
please visit

One point that has been made on that forum is that 5NN serves as a
'synch' transmission and means "the Morse characters that follow are the
ones you need to copy, because they're the serial number". One of the
gratifying things about the 80m CC contests is that they have attracted
many newcomers to contesting, and on CW it is probably of especial
benefit to those who aren't very familiar with the format to use the 5NN
to get themselves ready. Some more 'advanced' contests such as the
sprints have indeed done away with RST.

In last night's session I gave 559 to several stations, and indeed I
felt forced to give 597 to G3xxx who likes to transmit some sort of MCW.
I also sent "RST?" to another G3 who worked me but didn't send an RST.
So Paul, I submit that RST is neither invariant, meaningless nor redundant.

Dave G4BUO