[UK-CONTEST] Operating Practices

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 18 16:33:10 EST 2005

Whilst on the subject, I am currently having a go at the CDXC LF Challenge,
trying to work as many DXCC entities as I can on 160/80/40. I needed VP5 and
found one last night at s9 on 40m SSB. I have to say it was one the worst
experiences in over 40 years of amateur radio.

Firstly it was a Leeest, secondly I had to give last 2 letters and thirdly
it was run by an MC. My three most hated activities.

So, I had to beam East to get the Italian MC to log my "JJ", then I had to
switch to the West and wait whilst all the other guys had their 2nd QSO,
having already lodged half their call with someone else, and not only that
proceeded to swop names and say how happy they were to speak to Fernando.

This experience coupled with all the crap about "The name this way is,"
"When last heard," "Over Rover," "Make your call," "Back to you" plus the
comments about how many times you must send your call on diddly modes and
the recent comments about how people mis-operate in VHF contests, all point
to one thing: I now know why I enjoy CW and CW Contesting!!

Chris G3SJJ  Leading G3 in the G. O. M. contest, (60 next month)