[UK-CONTEST] MYCALL sending, Russian DX, WWYC

johndunnington johndunnington at johndunnington.karoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 04:28:32 EST 2005

Thanks Simon for an excellent post..now for an OF Review..circa 1936

A few basics to set the scene..40-yrs in the main SSB Contester but 50/50 cw
Dxing..until 1985 used a "Pump-handle Marconi Marine Key" remember them?
Even today not a CW Rate man..happy winkling the rare ones..occasionally I
do run for short spells. So what you might ask..

Well it is rare to find me on SSB my ears won't let me and hate canned voice
messages. Tried it but when a very famous USA contester broke the sequence
by saying "Thanks John your computer just worked my computer" it was time to
rethink. OK I show up and give a few points away on SSB.

RDXC over the past weekend I was surprised at the end to have reached 150/hr
(full hr) on both 20 and 80 now this is
more a reflection of activity than my CW. Dont get me wrong I can read it
even at 40wpm but sending concentration has
a very short lifespan before I need to cool off in S&P Mode. I did more than
double my previous best score with 2.4Meg despite a late start due to
3-rugby matches taking place on Saturday afternoon..RDXC is fast becoming a
really good test since all can work all single mode or mixed or single band
or even dual band as well as the usuall all band. Having a points bias
towards working Russian stations and the fact that if both stations in a QSO
submit logs the QSo counts towards both the Russian Award (Oblasts) and the
RDA (Russian Districts Award) negates QSL'ing for those that don't do it.
You can claim the award by Email and an Excel Spread Sheet or Word Document.
The RDXC and RDA Contest organisers send you an automatic UBN report if you
include your email.type RDXC into Google
and take a look how a contest web site should be..brilliant which reflect
the serious activity.

My "Bottom Line" 962 Q's (207 Oblasts + 157 DXCC)= 364 mults with well over
50% QSO's Russian. SO All band CW HP. Several
regular UK stations not hrd this year. No QSO's on 10m at all.

The next big Russian activity Contest is RDA info taken from The Russian
Districts Award (RDA) (http://rdaward.org), sponsored by Tambov Award Group
(TAG), is issued for contacts with specified numbers of districts of the
Russian Federation according to the RDA list of districts.

"Prior to the beginning of competitions RDA Contest` 2005,
which will take place on August, 20, 2005 remained: 150 days (day). "
Russian Translation taken from the Website..

Hitting the wrong F-Key is not a crime just a measure of how excited or
nervous you get..even I remember sending to Dennis
G3MXJ 599000 when I hit the wrong SD Key at the start of an RSGB 1.8 Test
some years ago. Big hitters on both CW and SSB are held in great esteem by
the innocent and newcomers alike so don't be too hard on them in your desire
to stay top of the pile..as many say Contesting is FUN but competitive. Bad
manners are all too frequent in our hobby often shown by operators who
should know better. Witness the mayhem on FT5XO sending QRG's sad really and
cannot take out my frustration by sitting on my lawnmower as it is far too
wet..can't beat the XYL up would get locked away..or kick the dog as don't
have one anymore..my DX mentor's G2KO and G3GWT always stressed listen if
you dont you will never work dx as he wont hear you if he is transmitting.

WWYC keep going as you are and enjoy the fun time fly's by and very quickly
you will be OF's. I feel a lot better these days since the callbook is
alpha-sorted was getting far too close to the front page..

73

John G3LZQ