[UK-CONTEST] 80M SSB CC

Callum callum at mccormick.uk.com
Mon Mar 28 12:17:28 EST 2005

Voice Keying
------------

I notice the following message didn't make it to uk-contesting. My mistake.

------->>

Hi Graham. I'm a "rookie" at all this but I got bitten by the contest bug 18
months ago for my first CQWW. I did a single band, low power entry for 40
meters. It nearly killed me but I liked the pain (don't ask)!

Then, I started using the N1MM contest logger. This has a built-in keyer.
After many, many attempts of recording the very small number of "snippets",
I have finally cracked it with only 8 function keys to deliver probably 95%
of all voice keying requirements - it's great. Ver 5 (not downloaded yet)
uses 10 function keys, so you can do 100% of the keying easily.

Here's a demo. I'm calling CQ and M0MCX calls me (I'm calling myself!). I
give him this report for 59 17: (I just pasted all the wav clips together in
Audacity - so this is exactly how it is performed). Switch your rig
processor on, and you wouldn't know!

	http://www.mccormick.uk.com/m0mcx/voice keyer demo - m0mcx.wav

Function keys

F1	CQ CONTEST....
F2	Their call sign (record, A-Z and 0-9 inc the "/" (stroke) .wav files
F3	Hello, you are 5 and 9 (breath - pause)
F4	Serial number plays, "OK?" ("OK" is separate wav that plays after
ser)
F5	"Good luck in the contest" (hit esc to stop it at "good luck")
F6	"QSL, Roger, Roger!" (Hit esc to stop it after QSL!)
F7	"Again"? (hit twice for a rapid "AGAIN? AGAIN?")
F8	My call sign (recorded twice. Hit esc to stop it after 1st shout)

* Use the free "Audacity" WAV editor to equalise your recordings with a low
pass [3500Hz] and a high pass [350 Hz] filter, then amplify. Record
everything in one session with enthusiasm as if you're LIVE! - then export
each part of the master WAV to each individual wav file: CQ CONTEST, OK,
QSL, AGAIN?, a, b, c, d.... 0, 1, 2, 3.... etc (write it all down before you
record or you'll forget something!).

Then, practice your voice keying with rig on "monitor" on a dummy load. Mine
got quite hot! Mail me for more demos.

Even this works: You hear PA3?x? (unsure). Type PA3 into the logger, hit F2
(their call) then hit F7 twice. You get "PA3 - AGAIN? AGAIN?". Neat. I
didn't have "YOUR NUMBER, AGAIN?" so I had to risk waking Wendy!

I do believe that for most contacts when I used the auto-keyer, the station
didn't know they were talking to my "automated ME" (unless I hit the wrong
key which is dead funny - wishing someone "good luck" when they ask for a
repeat of your serial num!). I was motivated to get this right so that I
didn't wake Wendy in the middle of the night!

Good luck,

Callum.