[UK-CONTEST] Thanks All Re GAZ 66

Adrian Rees (M1LCR) rees.a at btconnect.com
Sun May 29 07:39:13 EDT 2005

Hi all
Well thanks to all those who replied about my query of Voltage Regulation
and DC Generators.
Surprisingly the DC Generator is electrically very quiet, with only minor
Hash around 28MHz.

I'll probably build some sort of Voltage regulator after the battery supply,
and monitor its performance.

Out of interest, the GAZ 66 / R142 I have is the only one of its type in the
UK. There are two others in the UK. One is in a museum, the other in
Peterborough, but off the road / being broken for spares. (Engine thrown a
Rod via the casing.....).

Michael (DG9OBK) and Reinhard (DL6BC) both have GAZ 66's with Michaels one
fully fitted with original Radio kit. I understand that these two and mine
are the only  roadworthy ones in Europe.

I have a Scam 70 (Heavy duty version of Scam 21) 70 Foot Pneumatic mast,
which will be fitted to the back of the vehicle, once I've made a pair of
mounting plates from half inch plate steel. (The plates will be 6 Foot long
(external) and 5 foot (internal bracing plate). The onboard compressor is
rated to 125Psi, so with the Clarkes regulator I've got, will supply enough
air pressure to lift the Scam 70 to its full height.

If you browse to the Wrexham Amateur Radio Society website, and have a look
in the pictures section, you'll find some photographs of the GAZ. Some taken
with a Phone Camera, the other with a normal digital camera. (I took it out
so we could check out some sites for VHF Field Day, hence the 8 Ele Yagi).

With the GAZ we can now carry all of our Contesting kit ( 4 Squares on 40 +
80, X7, A3S, additional 35 Foot Masts (2) as well as a pair of 6 Element
Yagis for 50MHz and a 4 x 8 Ele array for 144MHz). The GAZ will also tow my
40 Foot Tower / 7.5Kw Generator combination.

The GAZ will be at Elvaston Castle this year, alongside Joe Bells Zil truck.
(Unfortunately the Scam 70 mast won't be mounted in time. But still plenty
to look at !).

Adrian (M1LCR)