[UK-CONTEST] 40m CQWW SSB

Callum (Home) callum at mccormick.uk.com
Mon Nov 7 16:46:34 EST 2005

Dave,

>>I don't currently have any HF SSB gear at the moment

Well, there's an honest man with an opinion. Let me tell you that 40 meters
is just too cramped Dave - full stop. It is physically impossible to cram in
hundreds (thousands?) of keen European contesters on 40 meters during CQWW.
Roll on 2008 (or whatever) when apparently, we'll *ALL* be allowed to
venture up to the 7.2 line and perhaps beyond (has this been decided..?).

I spent 48 hours on SSB on 100 watts this year. It was like an enjoyable
torture. I only did it to beat last years score! However, Not only did I
score a few points by operating as low as 7.00??.. something(!) but I also
called CQ high and listened low. I was part of the problem.

I find that I don't have much sympathy for the complainers - and I do joke
with them on 80 meters quite often. It's competitive events like this that
keep us *ALL* going. Had it not been for contesting, I would have hung up
the antenna by now. Surely only CQWW SSB beats up 40 meters quite this hard?
Can it really be that bad?

I look at it this way, if "my band" was chock-a-block for a couple of
weekends a year by a mode that wasn't my cup of tea, would I care? No - I
would move somewhere else and think "Thank goodness the contesters are
demonstrating that we don't have enough space"! It might also give me the
opportunity of leaning more about other bands.. I might even get to know my
wife again! Shock horror :)

. . . of course one day, you'll turn up at the Post Office and be able to
buy a "Ham License" for £20. Just bring a copy of your electricity bill with
you so you can demonstrate what the stuff is.

Anyway - it's only once a year - I don't remember WPX being this bad.

-	Single band, 40 meters, 100 watts
-	396 Qs, 61 Cs and 11 Zs

Callum
M0MCX