[UK-CONTEST] VLF/VHF etc etc

Lee Volante lee at g0mtn.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Nov 19 15:28:33 EST 2005

Hi John,

Has it been specified what "large volume" means ?  Like many active
contesters reading this list, I receive a few thousand QSL cards a year
which I don't gain much enjoyment from. (Polite understatement.)  I will
then reply to everyone - I will send a huge pile of TNX QSL cards out.

I understand the logic of "they gave me my enjoyment of a contest QSO, now I
should return the favour and send them a QSL card if they're asking for
one."

Some contesters do not return QSLs, or indeed collect the incoming cards in
the first place - and that is their choice.

I thought the whole idea of a national bureau was to remove the costs of
sending internationally from the individual, and was a service that part
justifies our national society subscription fee.  If we're asked to send
these cards overseas, I can see certain people in a similar situation to
myself now wavering and choosing not to send these cards out en-masse, or
perhaps to be more selective in replying.  It becomes more of a bind, and
more expensive, than it was previously.

On the other hand, the additional postage is still probably only a small
cost compared with the average running costs of an amateur station. I should
count myself lucky I'm not charged by the card like elsewhere.....

73,

Lee G0MTN