[UK-CONTEST] CQWW Observations

Andy swiffin a.l.swiffin at dundee.ac.uk
Tue Nov 29 04:59:42 EST 2005

>  Everything else was great.  CQWW is!! Guess
> Vive le CQWW. Chris G3SJJ, at G8D.

Obviously I'm missing something - quite a few people have written great
praise for the cqww contests.  Surely its the most pointless one out -
once you've got the callsign you may as well just qsy, the rest of the
excgange is meaningless!  Oh - zone 14, 5, 11, 33 or whatever - what a
surprise.......  With serials being passed (and compared at
adjudication) there's some point in the contest exchange and some skill
in correctly copying the info.

You old style Hfers are just far too soft, every HF contest should
exchange real reports (heaven forbid), serials and FULL LOCATOR, that
would sort out the men from the boys.

Oh, and no automatic keyers - everything by hand, then we'd see if 3V5A
was still sending at 45wpm by sunday evening, I wonder if he realises
how many qsos he lost because the other end couldn't work out who on
earth he was - it was fun listening on his (and other hot rods)
frequencies to the number of ..--..s there were.

No serious attempt in this contest from me, about 160 qsos and some
fun.  Nice to play a bit of topband and 80.

cheers
Andy
gm8oeg