[UK-CONTEST] CQWW at GM4YXI / GM7V

Keith Kerr k.kerr at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Nov 29 12:04:19 EST 2005

Hi all,

I never did get round to adding my bit about the SSB leg so here it is
first of all..

September arrived and I had no functioning HF antennas to speak of
(weather, corrosion and lack of maintenance over the last 12 months to
blame). My 80m vertical was ok 'cos it sits in storage over the summer so
my CQWW options this year were rather limited! I threw up another vertical
for a second receiver. All this and the beverages were just about sorted by
9pm Friday and I was thinking about sleeping when I realised the bevs were
all really noisy and essentially useless.

So I started SB80 feeling deaf. The first night saw reasonable QSO rates
and the big stations in zone 5 were loud but there didn't seem to be the
weaker layers of stations. Maybe I was deaf. I picked up a few Carib mults
around sunrise (FY5KE by far the loudest) after basically running all
night. I had noticed a problem on the PROIII: the output closed off
dramatically periodically! When the band closed I eventually discovered
that this was only a problem when the Rx antenna option was selected (the
bevs were almost usable on some frequencies) so decided to swap to my old
IC775 and put the PROIII on the rx vertical after discovering that the
PROIII saw a very high SWR only when the Rx antenna option was selected.
This all ate into my planned sleep.

My return at 1500 was depressing, hearing SMs rattle off amazing DX to the
east which was inaudible to me. Must have got to me since I
uncharacteristically took a couple of hours off from the bedlam in the
early evening but came back and stuck the rest of the night out bar 90mins
of kip around 0200.

The lack of bevs was really annoying me and I decided daylight Sunday to
try to fix it. I check all the feeders, the relay switching, changed the
feedpoint balun&.no effect. Then the penny dropped&..the shack PC. To cut a
long story, the bevs seemed to pick up terrible hash from the PC power
supply. Ditch PC, fire up old faithfull 25MHz 486 and restart with a proper
Rx capability. Amazing difference and helped me do something about my
dreadful multiplier total thanks to 9M2CNC, YB2DX, VK6DXI booming at his SR
and 5U7JB near the end.

Finished with a good QSO total but rubbish mults and got creamed by the
opposition. Still it was great to get back in the shack after a long
absence. Shame that the old PC corrupted the cabrillo file!

       Call:      GM7V      On about about 31 hours

              80     2027    2427       1.20           19          89
      = 262,116

       Plan had been to try 40m in the CW leg but the antennas never
materialised. Stewart GM4AFF came to my rescue on the PC front and after a
bit of a wrestle with Ctwin I was sort of ready. I was mindful that I had
really messed up on the mult front on SSB. The first night on 80m CW was
pretty good. Plenty of NA, carib mults and JW1CCA and OY3QN to finish. I
got some sleep and was ready at 1500 to start again. The first hour saw
JT1CO, HS0ZBS, ZM1A and JA3YBK for four double mults in a row, then 9M2CNC,
9V1YC and YC2MXV called me.

Now the bad bit......I had to QRT at 1800 to go out (XYL and I did not
discuss the fact that last weekend in November is booked!). Bummer.....back
at 0100 Sunday. That hurt.

Cat nap 20mins at 0445 to stop falling asleep while Cqing! At 0750ish I am
called by NP2L, ZL2AZ and LU6QI shortly followed by VE7ZL. Looking forward
to an interesting next hour ar SR, I lose all drive to amp and conclude Tx
is bust. Transpired that an outboard coax relay for my antenna switching
was at fault. Reconnected with one antenna and worked LU2F then stopped.
Decided to take the relay apart and discovered that the copper arm on the
Tx side had snapped.......bad timing. Reconfigure my messy shack and try to
get about 90mins sleep.

Sunday evening was amazing. I felt happier about my mult situation but was
way short of QSOs after my Saturday pm closedown. QSO rates were slow but
some great DX called in. In 15mins around 1615z VK2NU, YC2WWW, T88AA and
A52CDX, later VR2BG, BA4RF and VU2PAI and I even had a run of 16 JAs around
their sunset.......never done that before on 80m. VQ9JC, 9N7JO and with 58
mins to go, VK9AA all called to cheer me up.

My score is still rubbish when I see some of the posted stuff on 3830 (
obviously still missed loads of mults as well as being very short on QSOs)
but I had a really great time. Love or hate the format, CQWW is just
brilliant, period!

Call:      GM4YXI            29hrs on

       BAND 80m

                   QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/   ZN COUNTRIES

      Totals   1789     2747     1.54     29     102      =>  359,857

Now it's antenna building in the snow.....

73
Keith GM4YXI (GM7V)