[UK-CONTEST] Run Freq on 40m

Douglas Maxwell douglas.maxwell at virgin.net
Wed Nov 30 17:22:47 EST 2005

Hi Chris,
    For S&P we used 2nd and 3rd IF 250Hz filters, clear frequencies were
found using 2nd and 3rd IF 500Hz filters. When running we tried to last as
long as possible with 500Hz. We found ourselves occasionally being squeezed
down to 250Hz on our running frequency and had to switch back out to 500Hz
on no replies just to check. I'm sure we missed a lot of contacts this way,
but ear strain was very much reduced! Even with the 250Hz filters in line we
had adjacent stations starting up who broke through, on these occasions a
slight touch of the width or shift control nulled most of the chatter.  We
didn't use the APF facility on the MkV as the previously mentioned controls
were usually enough to carry on.

Doug
GM0ELP/GM0B