[UK-CONTEST] Noisy Antenna

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 20 13:06:51 EDT 2005

Hi Neil

There are about a million variables! However, a 110ft doublet and an A3S are
apples and pears on 10Mhz and the comparison is not really valid.

 If you are happy that your 80m dipole was quieter , AND was coax fed, my
best guess is digital hash from your computer and other stuff. How far is
the ladder line from the shack? I really didn't have a problem on LF, but
tuned feeders here with so much digital stuff around have-unfortunately-
become very difficult above 14Mhz. If the raw SWR on the coax from the balun
is not too high, and your main concern is LF I'd recommend moving the balun
as far as reasonably practicable from the shack, and use coax to take up the
slack.

Of course, it has to be said that any balun operating with a finite SWR
across it, will also generate common mode currents on the coax , which could
also port the digital noise back along the coax. If you suspect the above
maybe true, it's just a question of experimenting. btw when dissing
computers et al for test,  make sure you pull the plug, 'cos most all are
connected to the AC supply even when the front panel switch is off. Lousy
engineering practice, but we just have to live with it I fear.

Of course if you see any alien space craft around, it's more likely them ;-)

73

Clive
GW3NJW