[UK-CONTEST] SSB Field Day '05

Jim Balls jim at j1mbo.f9.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 03:07:42 EDT 2005

Hi Tom,

as the rules stand now you are right, no one in any section should be
running a private cluster link unless the contest specific rules
superseded this, I notice that the IOTA rules superseed this in section
4.2 as follows

• Multi-Operator (24-hour Mixed Mode only. Multi-ops are restricted to a
maximum of two transceivers, the second station to be used to find and
call other stations only if the station is a new multiplier. It must not
be used to solicit other contacts, e.g. by calling "CQ" or "QRZ". Any
non-multiplier QSOs made accidentally on the second station should be
logged, but scored as zero points. Multi-ops may make passive use (self
spotting not allowed) of DX spotting nets and DX Cluster. Multi-operator
entrants should include a full list of operators with their entry).

But no where in the HF SSB Field Day rules is the general rule 4 (e)
superseeded, the rule states

(e) Simultaneous transmissions on more than one frequency below 30MHz
are not permitted, but in multi-operator / assisted events use of
VHF/UHF to access the DX cluster is permitted.* Access must be to the
public cluster network, private clusters are not permitted.*

so any station, in any section, running DX Spotting nets over a private
cluster was operating out side of the rules.

The HFCC need to inspect the rules closely and amend as necessary to
remove the uncertainty over this all, by considering suggestions made in
earlier posts by various competitors who would like to see the
restricted section returned to it's basic form.

Regards,

Jim