[UK-CONTEST] QRO

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 30 16:50:23 EDT 2006

Thanks for the information Colin on presumably your weekend off! (or is
it the same as usual, volunteers are expected to be available at all
hours!) (of course, if you are being paid I trust the Society and its
membership would sanction overtime rates!!)

The power list is revealing and very interesting. I feel there is a case
for increased power limits for a number of reasons although maybe
difficult to negotiate. I guess it depends on the level of straight
talking seen as acceptable. I know in the era Chris WOJ mentions there
was much double talk when negotiating with the "Authorities," things you
could say and things you couldn't, and the time gap between meetings was
painfully long. It would be nice to think things had moved on over the
last 10 years or so.

- On the basis of business negotiation, I certainly think we should be
"going in" at 1500w for Full Licencees as Standard. The reasoning being
that since licensing is now a business activity we should be playing
them at their own game. If they want to put forward restrictions, then
THEY must justify them on a technical basis and WE, having the technical
and operating experience, should be able to counter or negotiate.

- If we are able to talk freely then "Established Precedent" should be
discussed. Whilst it is painful for some people to accept, creative
interpretation of power levels has been around for many decades probably
since licences were first issued. From my own experience I was aware of
160m DX chasers well exceeding limits in the early 60s and I am sure
this was not a new phenomonen. I am sure pre-WW2 there were ragchewers,
DX and contesters using well above prescribed levels as is the case now.

- The list of power limits in Europe should be a very useful negotiating
tool, and again, it really up to the "Authorities" to advance solid
technical reasons why these can't be matched. Competing on more equal
terms for awards in general should be seen as an important reason.

- We do, of course, have to be realistic and accept that some locations
are just not suitable for high power levels of any sort, but then do you
condemn all locations to that situation. This is probably where the real
negotiation begins and I have to say I wouldn't know where to begin.
Surely though it is worth putting a bid in to test the water?

- Whilst not a negotiating item, a more realistic modern limit would
help to calm the arguments that tend to arise about cheating etc.

Chris G3SJJ