[UK-CONTEST] SJJ & DX Cluster - delete if you wish

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 18 02:54:09 EDT 2006

Surely someone agrees with the following statements. I guess you are all
so keen to see the screw turned on SJJ that you are keeping quiet!

1 - A DX Cluster system has been operational in UK for around 15 years,
with many well-known contesters involved as sysops.

2 - General Rule 7A was amended probably about 10 years ago (I can't
recall if it was during my tenure as HFCC Chair or before) to exclude
the use of Cluster for single operator entrants.

3 - At that stage (about 10 years ago) it then became a right and option
for multi-operator entrants to use the DX Cluster.

4 - Any group operating in Club Calls Contest, 21/28 MHz CW and SSB
Contest, Low Power Field Day, CW Field Day and SSB Field Day had and
still have the right and option to use the DX Cluster, and indeed in
those days signed in ink on HFC2 summary sheet that they understood and
accepted the rules.

5  - Bracknell and Harwich as regular participants of multi-op contests,
and all those who contributed to the recent discussion have also
accepted this. I do not recall anyone prior to 17 August 2006 raising
this as an issue. (Although there was some discussion around
Commonwealth Contest resulting in a multi-operator section being
introduced to allow the use of Cluster!)

6 - I do recall a conversation several years ago with Roger GW4HSH on
behalf of Swansea Club GW4CC who were regular participants in Club
Calls, SB FD and I think 21/28 SSB. He was concerned about coverage of
RF based Cluster at that stage and not having coverage in his area for
SSB FD. I certainly don't recall him having any of the negative thoughts
advanced on 17 August 2006.

7 - As far as I can see from Dave G4BUO's original posting, there is no
proposal to redefine Multi-op sections. There is no proposal to
introduce DX Cluster because it is already (presumably world wide)
accepted and well established as part of the definition of multi-operator.

8 - Whether a group uses it is up to them.

9 - So what changed on 17 August 2006??     Nothing.

10 - So why all the fuss ??