[UK-CONTEST] 160m Contest - G4IIY

Ian Fugler G4IIY zen90387 at zen.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 05:35:58 EST 2006

I slung up an inverted L off the mast a few weeks ago for 160m.   I had not entered this contest for a some time, so it was good to bump in to some familiar calls who I only seem to work on 160m.

It is certainly some way off the scores being posted here, but for what its worth:

156 QSOs (without dupes)
46 UK postcodes
21 country mults, including Ws (all areas except 6/7), VE/VOs and EA8.

FT1000MP, Explorer amp, Inverted L (42' vertical, 80' horizontal(ish)

I used SD for the first time in years, since it supports the contest.  It took a while to re-familiarise myself with the functions.  Apologies to anybody who called early on and received an odd message.

I did read the rules before the start and stayed above 1820.  I heard some PAs running in the bottom 10, but resisted the temptation to call them.  I don't think it's necessary to extend the sub-band for this contest.  There was plenty of room above 1820 and limiting the sub-band gives us some credit with those who moan about there being no room for 'normal' operation during contests.

Ian G4IIY