[UK-CONTEST] N1MM in UK

G3RIR g3rir at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 14:32:35 EST 2006

Hi,

Many of us UK amateurs are using N1MM as the preferred contesting software particularly where networking is concerned. However the interface to MMTTY and the superb bandmap facility amongst many other features make it first choice anyway.

I have been discussing very briefly with the writers of the software enabling some of the RSGB contests more specifically.

I find that it is possible to use the WPX variants for many RSGB HF contests but it makes no attempt to score them correctly. A recent posting suggested the use of DXSERIAL as the contest type to use for RSGB contests but this allows an entry to be logged wthout an incoming serial number and it is then rather cumbersome to add it later.

VHFREG1 contest type works well for many VHF contests in the UK and Europe. The main draw-back it has is that it deafults to S9 reports which is not the norm for Eu VHF contests.

The writers of the N1MM software will consider taking on board a few RSGB contests but only with the following being taken into account.

We already support quite a few, Neil, and our guy who does most of the contest programming is stretched a bit thin these days (real job, advanced degree studies, etc.).  As a result I have asked that when nominating a contest for support, MM users should indicate how many entries the contest received last year, when the next running will be, and provide a web site or other source for up-to-date rules.  I have also asked that a person who nominates a contest make himself available for thorough testing before the module is released.  And finally, I have warned that support for a specific contest cannot be guaranteed on any sort of timetable, because some prioritization is necessary, both among N1MM developments and with the real world.

Given these considerations, we generally find it more satisfactory if the person proposing a given contest is someone who has a direct, specific interest in it.  Frankly, an effort to "beat the bushes" for UK contests is likely to result in some disappointments.  If you want to put this around to the UK community, though, and make it clear that we're open to proposals with these conditions understood, that's fine.

73, Pete

So UK contesters let me have your thoughts about RSGB contests and I'll collate them and pass them on to Pete.

Neil, G3RIR