[UK-CONTEST] ARRL CW M5A SOSB 80M

G3WVG g3wvg at lycos.co.uk
Tue Feb 21 17:34:14 EST 2006

While G3TXF was bashing away on 20M I was at his seaside QTH snoozing
getting ready for 80M.to open to the USA.   We thought that there would be
no overlap in propagation but I suspect that he let me cost him a few QSOs
by vacating the rig at 2200Z.

In the end I made 758 QSOs and 51 Mults .. Conditions were pretty good on
both days but it seemed to me that the Saturday was a little better.

The radio was a ft100MP + an Alpha 89, while the antenna was a dipole at a
about 25M with a reflector about a quarter of a wavelength behind it.  I've
no idea if it helped , but I don't think it did any harm.  The star of the
show though was a one wavelength Beverage.. I'd never used one before and it
was superb.. Signals that were barely readable on the main antenna were
crystal clear on the receive antenna.

Jan G0IVZ was the other G station pounding away all weekend too, and today
looking at the DX spots he got more than me, so I'm not too hopeful of even
1st Place G !!!

73 Ian M5A   aka G3WVG