[UK-CONTEST] Ofcom/RSGB meeting

Ed - G3SQX g3sqx at edtaylor.org
Thu Jul 13 13:18:23 EDT 2006

Bob, 5B4AGN has made some good points, and I don't think it is too far
removed from the purposes of the reflector to answer them briefly.

<<  How less representative could a group of folks holding a superior
licence and therefore having absolutely no personal need for a FL be?  >>

Yes, pretty unrepresentative, and the same clearly applies to the
highly-motivated and very active people who subscribe to this reflector.
But I would say that we have a responsibility (as does the RSGB Board) to
try and work out what a sensible regime for licensing, and to work with the
regulator to bring about that regime.  The policy developed will never
please everyone, but it ought (in my view) to have as a high priority the
goal of getting new people into the hobby so that we can continue what we
are doing into the foreseeable future.

<<  The majority of the populace are completely unrepresentative.  >>

Agreed, and this applies to the RSGB membership as well.  The best any
organisation can do is to find out the views of the members and adjust
policy accordingly.

<<  I really have no idea whether the assertion made by GI4NKB is true and
the majority of UK radio amateurs don't want the FL in its current form.  >>

Most contesters are about as far away as you can get from mainstream Amateur
Radio (if there is such as thing).  It's a big mental jump to try and
imagine what might be the interests and views of other amateurs,
particularly those who just want to have a chat occasionally on 40m or 2m.
My reading is that most RSGB members support any initiative that tries to
get interest going in radio, and therefore agree with the basic goals of the
Foundation Licence, but there's certainly plenty of room for debate!

<<  if it were, would it really be appropriate for the RSGB to follow a
course so contrary to the views of the membership at large?  >>

No, probably not.

<<  you think it appropriate for RSGB leadership to publicly represent their
own views in preference to those of the membership.  >>

No, and I don't think this is happening.  In most matters, the leadership
has to make up its minds without constant reference to the membership, but
in broad general policy, I think they are fairly sensitive to "public
opinion."  The Board members who read this reflector (quite a few) will have
a good idea of what contesters think, but they also have to take account of
the ideas of other groups.  As we have seen, there is a wide diversity of
opinion even among our own ranks, so you can't even really say there is a
"contesters' viewpoint."

73,

Ed, G3SQX